The main activity of this directorate is to design freight wagons and their related components. Wagon Directorate has developed designs for a wide range of commodities and consignments, the largest being 28 axle wagon of 296 tonnes carrying capacity wagon. The wagon directorate also renders consultancy to industry on special wagons for manufacturers executing export order. Wagon Directorate is the nodal agency of IR for all design and technical issues related to freight stock. Its main activities are:
· Design and development of wagons to cater requirement of industry.
· Formulating maintenance Instructions for wagons.
· Redressal of manufacturing and maintenance issues related to wagons.
· Nodal agency for issue of speed certificate for wagons.
· Organizing oscillation trials of wagons
· Approval of wagon design of private parties.
· Vender Approval of Weigh Bridge suppliers and items controlled by Directorate
· Model Approval of Tippler