Roles and Functions of Track Machines and Monitoring Directorate
Track Machines and Monitoring Directorate was formed in September-1993. Prior to this Track Machine subject was dealt by Track Design Directorate and Track Monitoring & Testing part was dealt by Research Track Directorate.
Main functions of directorate are:
· Statutory Track Monitoring of IR track by Track Recording Cars.
· Development of new systems for inspection and monitoring of Track.
· Testing of Track components like Sleepers, Fastenings , welds etc. in Track Lab.
· Preparation and revision of on Track Machine specifications, Manuals, Maintenance instructions and Guidelines, List of critical Spare Parts, Inspection-Checklists, Maintenance Schedule Manuals, Indigenization of Spare parts etc.
· Development and Standardization of Small Track Machines and P. Way measuring tools.
· Development of vendor for small track machines available with TMM Directorate.
Infrastructure and Test Facilities
1. Universal Testing Machine :
The universal testing machine is used for measurement of Toe load, load deflection characteristics and stresses for different types of elastic fastening, calibration of the helical springs of toe load measuring device and assessment of pull out resistance of inserts, spikes, screws etc.
2. Creep Resistance Frame :
The creep resistance frame is used for measuring of creep resistance force offered by rail seat against movement of rail for different types of fastening.
3. Track panel fatigue testing machine :
This machine is used for full-scale track panel under accelerated dynamic loading and analysis of results on computerized data logging system. This equipment was supplied and installed by M/s Carl Schenck Germany in 1993
4. Track Recording Cars
Track Recording Liability
With existing laid down frequency the track recording liability of IR is approximately 2,41,116 kilometres.
Fleet of Track Recording Cars
· Contact Sensor based Track Recording Cars : 3 Nos.
· LASER contact less sensor based Track recording Cars : 2 Nos.
· One LASER contact less sensor based TRC is under commissioning