Research Directorate is one of the important directorates of RDSO. This directorate performs the following activities:
• Conducting Governing Council Meeting (GCM).
• Conducting Round Table Conference.
• Coordinating for MOU with IITs and different Directorate of RDSO for R&D projects of multidisciplinary nature.
• Coordinating with IIT’s for establishment of Centre for Railways Research at IIT Kharagpur,Kanpur, Roorkee, Madras and Mumbai University.
• Other consultancy project with IIT’s/foreign institutions and UIC.
• Instrumentation support for field trails to various RDSO directorates.
• Coordinating for Technology Mission for Indian Railways (TMIR).
• Coordinating for Various committees & Advisory Group of Experts setup by Ministry of Railways.
• Coordinating forMalaviya Chair at IIT BHU.
• Research Projects involving multidisciplinary approach i.e., WILD, Fog Vision, on Board Diagnostic etc.