Formerly known as ?Formation Engineering Wing?, Geo-technical Engineering Directorate of RDSO deals with geotechnical engineering matters of Indian Railways. It has well equipped laboratory with all conventional and latest modern soil testing facilities. Main areas of activities are as follows
· Framing and Updating Guidelines/Manuals/Specifications for Earthwork, Ballast and Construction Materials of Works for Railways.
· Super Check of Earthwork in New Constructions, as and when directed by Railway Board.
· Monitoring Progress for Formation Rehabilitation.
· Consultancy on Special Geotechnical Engineering Problems.
· Training of Railway Personnel in Geotechnical Engineering.
· Applied Research in Geotechnical Engineering.
· Adoption of new products/technologies pertaining Geotechnical Engineering